Green Ridge Primary Academy believe in the concept of lifelong learning and the idea that both adults and children continue to learn new things every day throughout the course of their lives. We maintain that learning should be a rewarding and enjoyable experience for everyone. Through our teaching we aim to equip children with the skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to be able to make informed choices about the important things in their lives. We believe that appropriate teaching and learning experiences help children to lead happy and rewarding lives. We aim to develop a more creative, engaging curriculum that meets needs of pupils. This will be developed at school level with support of REAch2’s expertise and experience.
The curriculum at Green Ridge will provide the following opportunities:
- to enable all children to learn and develop their skills effectively
- to promote a positive attitude towards learning, so that children enjoy coming to school, and acquire a solid basis for lifelong learning;
- to teach children the basic skills of literacy, numeracy and information and communication technology (ICT);
- to enable children to be creative and to develop their own thinking;
- to teach children about their developing world, including how their environment and society have changed over time
- to enable children to be positive citizens in society;
- to fulfil all the requirements of the National Curriculum
- to teach children to have an awareness of their own spiritual development, and to understand right from wrong;
- to help children understand the importance of truth and fairness, so that they grow up committed to equal opportunities for all;
- to enable children to have respect for themselves and high self-esteem, and to be able to live and work cooperatively with others.
In Early Years (Nursery and Reception) we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum.
Early Years Curriculum Overview (529KB)
Key Stage One and Two
For those children in Key Stage 1 (Year One and Year Two) and Key Stage 2 (Years Three to Six) Green Ridge follows has developed its own curriculum, based on the requirements of the National Curriculum, implemented in September 2014. More detailed information about the curriculum in each year-group can be found under each class page on the website where Curriculum information is published each half-term in order to let parents and carers know what is being covered and how they can support learning at home. Further information can also be found below, by individual subject, which tells you about our intent and implementation for each subject area.
At Green Ridge, we have a theme-based creative curriculum where we make purposeful links across different curriculum areas in order to make learning meaningful for the children. Parents and carers are also kept informed of changes to our curriculum via information sessions and curriculum evenings throughout the academic year.
Curriculum Resources for Parents/Carers
Talk for Writing
At Green Ridge, we teaching writing using a programme called ‘Talk for Writing’, based on the work of Pie Corbett. This is embeded from our Little Ridges Nursery, right the way through to Key Stage Two. To find out more, please see our resources shared with parents/carers here:
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG)
At Green Ridge, we teach Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar through various ways throughout our curriculum and daily lessons. To find out more, please see our resources shared with parents/carers here:
Phonics and Reading Scheme
At Green Ridge, phonics is taught following the Letters and Sounds programme. The Letters and Sounds programme clearly follows the six phases of phonic progression throughout the Early Years and Key Stage One. Phonics is taught explicitly and systematically each day in Early Years and Key Stage One, and consolidated throughout in KS2.
At Green Ridge we use a range of reading scheme books to meet the needs and interests of our pupils. Reading scheme books include Oxford Reading Tree, Rigby Star, Floppy’s Phonics and Project X. Our reading scheme runs from the Early Years to the end of Key Stage 2, whereby once children finish the scheme they become independent readers who select their own books as they are at a point in their reading journey to be able to read fluently and accurately with excellent comprehension. At the same time children may take home other reading books for them to practice their reading skills with such as those from our school library or the class reader area.
How can I find out more about the curriculum at Green Ridge?
If you have any questions about the curriculum we follow at Green Ridge, please contact the academy who will direct you to the relevant subject leader who will be able to answer your query.